Last Updated: October 29, 2014
Personal Information Collected
We collect information about you in various ways when you use our Sites and Services. For example, we collect information you provide to us when you register for a Gratipay account, initiate or accept a gift, request customer service or respond to a Gratipay survey. Such personal information may include your name, address, email address, credit card information and bank account and routing numbers. Before you use the Services, we may also require you to provide additional information that we can use to verify your identity, such as your date of birth, Social Security number or other information. Finally, we may obtain information about you from other sources, including third party websites or applications that offer the Gratipay Services, and combine that with information we collect on our Sites and through our Services.
When you visit our Sites or use our Services, some information is automatically collected. For example, when you visit our Sites, your computer's operating system, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, access times, browser type and language and the website you visited before our Sites are logged automatically. We also collect information about your usage and activity on our Sites and Services.
Cookies. We automatically collect information using "cookies." Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive by a website. Among other things, cookies help us improve our Sites, Services and your experience. We use browser cookies to see which areas and features are popular and to count visits to our Sites. We also use flash cookies for fraud prevention purposes. You can usually choose to set your browser to remove and/or reject cookies. For instructions on removing or rejecting flash cookies, please see Adobe Flash Player and Microsoft Silverlight. If you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or services of our Sites or Services. Please note that you may also encounter cookies from third parties when using the Gratipay Services on websites that we do not control.
Web Beacons. We may also collect information using Web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used on our Sites, in our Services or in our emails. We use Web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
Use of Personal Information We Collect
We use personal information collected through our Sites and Services for purposes described in this Policy or otherwise disclosed to you. For example, we may use personal information to:
- operate and improve our Sites and Services;
- respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- process transactions and send you related information, including confirmations, receipts, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- verify your identity, prevent fraud and comply with money transmission laws;
- resolve disputes, collect fees and troubleshoot problems;
Gratipay stores and processes personal information in the United States.
Sharing of Personal Information
Gratipay makes reasonable efforts not to share your personal information with the recipients of your gifts, so that particular gifts are anonymous. We do publicly share aggregated information about your giving and receiving. You may opt out of publicly sharing your aggregate giving and/or receiving.
We may also share your personal information with these third party vendors who work on our behalf:
- Braintree Payments provides payment processing.
- Piwiki Pro provides website traffic analysis.
- Optimizely provides website A/B testing.
- Heroku provides website and database hosting.
Gratipay supports "Do Not Track" (DNT), which is a privacy setting in many browsers. Enabling your browser's DNT settings ensures that Gratipay will disable any use of third-party analytics services.
We may also share your information as follows:
- to comply with laws or to respond to lawful requests and legal process; to protect the rights and property of Gratipay, our agents, users and others, including to enforce our terms, policies and guidelines; or in an emergency to protect the personal safety of our users or any other person;
- in connection with any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company; and
- with your consent or direction to do so.
Security of Your Personal Information
Gratipay takes measures to help protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Changes to This Policy
Gratipay may change this Policy from time to time. If we make any changes to the Policy, we will change the "Last Updated" date above.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.